Support for Study Abroad Students
At Kyorin University we believe students should have the chance to study abroad, and we go the extra mile to offer a wide range of international programs they can choose from. The university also offers scholarship programs and extensive support services to help students who want to study abroad.
Before Studying Abroad
- Guidance and Assistance
- The Center for International Exchange provides guidance and assistance for students wishing to study abroad.
- Pre-Departure Orientation and Guidance
- To help students prepare for their study abroad journey, the Center hosts orientation meetings to explain all about the university's international programs and offers advice on what they should do before embarking on their journey.
- Pre-Departure Study
- Students work on improving their language skills, developing their cultural literacy and knowledge, and identifying their goals for studying abroad before they leave. Students enrolled in the Oxford Learning Abroad Program may have an opportunity to attend classes given by instructors invited from the College of International Education (CIE), where they will study English.
- Overseas Risk Management Guidance
- The university provides all students who are going to study abroad with pre-departure guidance on how to stay safe and healthy during their overseas sojourn. Risk management sessions that include simulation training are offered twice a year, once in the spring and again in the fall.
Support while Studying Abroad
- Ensuring Safety
- Working hand in hand with its partner universities, and students' host families when necessary, Kyorin University boasts a 24/7 risk management system that enables it to respond to any emergency. In addition to sending staff to check up periodically on students who are studying abroad the university requires students to check in regularly via email. Kyorin also organizes chaperoned overseas study tours.
- Career Guidance
- To help students discover job opportunities after returning home, the university offers career-related online courses and seminars that they can take advantage of while they are still studying abroad.
Kyorin University Online Courses
After Returning Home
- Post-Study-Abroad Presentation
After students have completed a study-abroad program, they are required to give a presentation in either Chinese or English for the purpose of evaluating their academic progress. Learning about the experiences of students who have studied abroad also encourages other students who have never studied abroad or who are thinking about studying abroad take that next step forward.
- Career Guidance
- Our Career Support Center provides individual counseling and information on job openings, primarily with private companies, where graduating students can put their international experience to use.
Study Abroad Credit Transfer
We help students studying abroad to graduate in four years.
Since credits for courses taken as part of study abroad programs are fully transferrable depending on the length of the program and course contents, students can graduate in four years even after spending a year overseas.
Study Abroad Support Programs
- Reciprocal Exchange Program (Host School Tuition Exempted)
- When studying abroad on this exchange program, students are fully exempted from paying tuition to any host university with which Kyorin University has a reciprocal student exchange agreement.
- 80% off Tuition when Studying Abroad (Semester)
- This offer is available to students enrolled in a study abroad program approved by their undergraduate department or graduate school (excluding the Reciprocal Exchange Program) who have to pay tuition to their host university. The length of their study abroad period must be either the same as one Kyorin University semester (a half year) or two semesters (one year).
- Kyorin University Learning Abroad/Study Abroad Scholarship Program
- Students who have an outstanding academic record, are highly motivated, and expected to excel in their overseas studies may be awarded a scholarship to study at an overseas institution approved by their undergraduate department or graduate school.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of students' financial status, academic record (GPA), language proficiency test scores, etc.
1 year study abroad (7 months or more): 400,000 yen
Half year study abroad (3-6 months): 200,000 yen
5-8 week learning abroad: 100,000 yen
2-4 week learning abroad: 50,000 yen
- Faculty of Foreign Studies Kumagai Scholarship Program
- Scholarships are available to Foreign Studies students who are planning to study abroad during their sophomore or junior years. As a general rule, applicants must be Japanese, financially strapped, and have an excellent academic record.
The scholarship covers up to 75% of study abroad expenses, not exceeding 500,000 yen (or 1,000,000 yen per year).
- Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Study Abroad Scholarships (Short-Term Stay)
- Special scholarships for Global 30 Plus universities
JASSO has a special allotment of scholarship funds for Global 30 Plus universities. Scholarships are granted to students enrolled in study abroad programs running from 8 days to 1 year that meet specified criteria, including student exchange programs based on individual agreements with partner universities, etc.
To be eligible for the scholarships, students must meet the requirements specified by JASSO, including a GPA of 2.3 or higher for the previous academic year, financial need, etc.
Monthly payment: 60,000-100,000 yen (depending on the location)
(For 2013 academic year)
＊Students may not apply for more than one of the scholarships listed above.
- JASSO provides financial aid to students planning to study abroad who meet its eligibility requirements.
Monthly loan (with interest) for undergraduates and others: 30,000, 50,000, 80,000, 100,000, 120,000 yen
Monthly loan (with interest) for graduate students: 50,000, 80,000, 100,000 130,000, 150,000 yen
Special additional loan (with interest): 100,000, 200,000, 300,000, 400,000, 500,000 yen
Additional loan provided along with the first installment of monthly loans.